Rugby Police Bowls Club has been in existence since, at least, 1948 and has been affiliated to The English Bowling Association, (now Bowls England) and Warwickshire Bowling Association since 1956.
Initially Superintendent J. G. Wood, who was the Officer in charge of Rugby Police Station from 1940 - 1955, started organising games, with a certain amount of coercion, on a Sunday afternoon at Caldecott Park, for family, colleagues and friends. Due to his position in the town, he had many close contacts with Councillors of Rugby Corporation (now Rugby Borough Council) and different business people. He soon started to organise games against recognised bowls clubs from within the town and one of the first games to be played consisted of three rinks against Bilton B. C. Over a number of years the group progressed to playing against, Oakfield, Caldecott Park, B. T. H. Lodge Plugs and Rugby B. C. In the early days a large proportion of the team was made up from members of the Regular Force as well as Warwickshire Special Constabulary.
Rugby Police Bowls Club is still very active today, with at least thirty six fixtures each year played throughout Warwickshire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire. As a club we are still very strong, despite the fact that other Police Force Bowls Clubs in the County have long since disbanded. A few our members are retired Police Officers and ex members of the Special Constabulary with the remainder being friends from the local community.